Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower

Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower
The view from Amsterdam Tower

Monday, August 27, 2012

Bizzare Food and Monday Madness


When Thuy and John were talking about cricket, I thought they were talking about cricket as it is in sport… Who plays cricket in Saigon? Then they asked me that question “Do you want to join us for cricket competition?”
 
 

Highway4

The fried crickets taste crunchier than I had expected. They are not bad at all. It taste as crunchy as fried shrimp-J  Of course the crickets are insects, they are black color and smaller than shrimp. But once they are deep fried, they are crunchy…

A plate of fried cricket @ Highway4

That’s the most bizzare dish on the table. Others were like tofu, fish and chicken with lemon sauce.
 
Chicken with lemon sauce (left), fried fish (right)
 
About this restaurant, Highway4 serves Vietnamese cuisine, including exotic dishes i.e. the most bizzare dish I had ever experience in my life that evening; the cricket. See link: http://www.highway4.com/
 
 
 
 

What is the most bizzare food you have ever had? Well, I had rabbit satay in an Indonesian restaurant in South Jakarta years ago. In Vietnam, I had fried crickets…
 
Fried Cricket
 
Actually I like Durian, if this fruit is considered in the ‘bizzare’ list. Durian lovers are proud telling everyone about their favorite fruit, which one is better, where and when to get them, etc. Some people I know like to do ‘durian hunting’ too... Those who hate durian, most of them say it is because of its odor. I am in the middle of these lovers and haters. I eat durian when there is, when there is not, I don’t even look for it. Still I prefer the real Durian fruit instead of Durian ice cream/pudding/etc.
 

Hot Vit Lon

The next few Mondays, I was invited to join another ‘food review’. This time was to seek for Hot Vit Lon (hột vịt lộn) or Vietnamese fetal duck eggs. The eggs are eaten with a pinch of salt, lemon juice, pepper and mint leave.
 
Hot Vin Lon
 
Before I moved to Vietnam, I watched Anthony Bourdain eating this egg on TLC channel, and I swear to myself that I would never eat it. Mmm… My British friend, Jake, ate this egg on his birthday last year.

This is where Jake had his Hot Vin Lon on his birthday
 
So there I was ...on one Monday evening,… No. 2 Su Thien Chieu, District 3 is near the crossroad of Ba Huyen Thanh Quang and Dien Bien Phu street.  Oooo…. This is where Pinky Ice Cream used to be.
 
 
 
I was happy to be with Monday Madness and to support others to eat these eggs, yeah….!!
 
The famous Hot Vin Lon
 
I enjoyed the fresh Vietnamese spring rolls, omellette (it looks like Singaporean carrot cake), salad however I skipped the Hot Vit Lon. I was there to support John to do his food review -J Good excuse, huh?! See his posting: getoffthetrail

Non-bizzare food on the table
 
Omelette that looks like Singapore carrot cake
 
Omelette is being prepared
 
Cricket, hot vin lon, or whatever meat…. It was always exciting to meet with Thuy, Jane, Kevin and John or other friends in Saigon bloggers community. Our gathering was always fun and bizzare -J 

Salad

Time flies… Counting down my days in Saigon… I had time to meet with them before my next travelling…
 
 
Let’s eat rats..!
 
 
BBQ 

Monday Madness met on Tuesday? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, it does not matter as long as friends got together…

Rats…? -L Luckily it was not the season, yippee…. So we decided to go for barbeque. My silly question was “Would it be a normal barbeque?” -J

The South BBQ or Lang Nuong Nam Bo at 285/C145 Cach Mang Thang 8, P12, District 10, is big two storey restaurant with lively atmosphere. When I was walking toward the entrance, I saw the pig grill - the restaurant is known for its roasted suckling pig.
 
We ate all of the food!!!
 
Dining table is mostly the round table for ten people. Perhaps it is more fun coming here in a big group. Often, I heard people at other table cheered “Mot, hai, ba… Yoo….”
 
John's chicken feet and Jane's Hot Vin Lon
 
Well, the most bizzare dish on our table was again the Hot Vit Lon (hột vịt lộn) but these eggs are smaller. Quail eggs?
 
Quail eggs Hot Vin Lon
 
I was happy to meet with Thuy, Jane, Kevin and John… and An (Thuy’s and Jane’s friend) plus Heny my Indonesian friend that evening… It was my farewell to Monday Madness crew members.
 
Monday Madness Crew
 
A couple of days after that, I had to travel… I had to return to Saigon for unpacking and packing, and left Saigon for good...


Next posting: “Sweet and Bitter Moments” in Saigon

No comments:

Post a Comment