Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower

Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower
The view from Amsterdam Tower

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

December Notes


Here are some churches I had seen/passed by/visited in a few parts of Asia.  
 
 
Mu'en Church, Shanghai
 
China, Shanghai

Just after crossing the People Square before entering the famous shopping district in Nanjing Road, Shanghai, I saw this church.  As I only passed by, I cannot say much about it, except that I like it from the first sight.

“Mu'en Church”… Later on I found out that the characters above the gate say “Truth gives you freedom”.


 
Hong Kong

There was one day, I passed by two churches coincidentally.

St John's Cathedral, Central, Hong Kong

I saw a church in Central in the morning, and another one in Kowloon in the afternoon. I took pics but only at a glance. At that moment, I had no intention to post any story related to religious places. Only if I knew, I would have taken much better pics.

Anyway, when I walked down to Central, at the opposite of the Peak Tram station, I passed by St. John’s Cathedral. It is a nice building in tranquil garden. http://www.stjohnscathedral.org.hk/home.html

Kowloon Union Church, Hong Kong
 
The Kowloon Union Church in Jordan (Kowloon), I saw it from across the street. I like to shoot things from strange angle, that’s why this pic is taken this way.


 
Thailand, Bangkok

Going around Bangkok in a boat is not part of the tourist attraction, but it is also to save traveling time.

Holy Rosary Church, Bangkok

When I visited Bangkok and wanted to visit the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun, I took the opportunity to take the tourist boat. It is very convenient.

There are so many things to be seen along Chao Phraya River. One of them is this church.

 
Vietnam, Hanoi

The Saint Joseph Cathedral was built to resemble the original Notre-Dame de Paris. The French built it in 18th century during their occupation in Vietnam.
 
Notre Dame Hanoi, Vietnam
 
My five minute stop in front of this Cathedral during my day trip to Hanoi was worth the effort. I was happy taking pics of this mini “Notre-Dame de Paris.

 
Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

Notre-Dame Saigon was also built by the French in 18th century.
 
Notre Dame Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Vietnam
 
Notre Dame Saigon, view from the back part

This Cathedral is never alone. There are always visitors walking around the area. In whatever hours or days, the Cathedral always attracts visitors both tourists and local citizens including for pre-wedding photo sessions.
 

Vietnam, Sapa

Do you know where Sapa is? It is in the northern part of Vietnam, near the border with China.  

I always like to shoot pics of small churches in small towns. They are petite, attractive, mystic and more mysterious. Only if they could speak and I could listen to their stories …..
 
Sapa Church, Vietnam
 
The Catholic Church in Sapa was built in 1930 and is located in the town square. This public space is used as open market on Sunday by and for the minority people of Sapa.  This square seems to be a popular meeting point for both locals and tourists. 
 
Sapa Church, this is what we see from the side

Mid of December this year, we heard about the snowfall in northern mountainous of Lao Cai province, northern part of Vietnam. That’s Sapa! When I heard about the snowfall there, all of the sweet memories of Sapa came back…
 
----- 

Memory, whatever it is… the good and the bad, it exits in anyone’s mind.  

Memory comes back any time, any day, any month… Since we are now in the last month of the year, what’s your memorable December’s story? 
 

*Story continues to other part of the world*

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I'm jealous with your posts and pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your compliments! Hope you're doing good. Let's keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete