Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower

Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower
The view from Amsterdam Tower

Friday, April 6, 2012

Bangkok

That's me in 2008 @Lumpini Stadium

My first visit to Bangkok was in 2008. That 3 day trip was only going around Bangkok city center including shopping at Chatuchak weekend market and watching the Thai boxing!

I still remember the wisata kuliner or culinary trip. When I visited the food court of Siam Paragon mall, I saw many stalls selling local food.  

I bought a set of snacks goreng-gorengan (fried snacks) and found out that they were sweet potato, banana and taro.  I was laughing at myself:  ini sama aja ama jajan gorengan di pinggir jalan di Jakarta, beli ubi, pisang and talas goreng, hehehe... 
  
Mango & Sticky Rice (Baan Khanita)
Karena belum puas, saya pesan jajanan manis lainnya yaitu mangga dan ketan (As I had not satisfied with the snack, I ordered another sweet snack which was the yummy mango with sticky rice).

As another culinary experience: there is a rooftop level open-air restaurant at the 64th floor of one of the tower in Bangkok.  The sky open bar at the edge of the glass fence is very cool.  I was already tired after shopping that day, but once I arrived at this restaurant, all of the tiredness was gone!  That place was so happening.  Sitting in the cliff of that high rise building before or after dinner, looking at the city light.... Gorgeous!  After having a few glasses of cocktail, looking down the street from that high rise building was a bit challenging…

Top L: condiments, R: spring roll - both @BaanKhanita. Below L: fish sauce lemon @BaanKhanita, R: grilled beef @Food Court Siam Paragon


My second visit in 2011 was to check on Bangkok shopping malls, and of course the sights and attractions.

Siam Paragon Mall

Doing culinary trip was also a goal. As @Mir my girlfriend in Saigon was (is) craving for delicious cakes especially cupcakes, I was influenced by her passion.  A few times I went to shopping malls, I looked around for yummy cakes.  
Here are what I found in Siam Paragon Mall.  Miam – yummy – enak – sedap - ngon.

F&B @ Coffee Bean by Dao, Siam Paragon Mall

I contacted @Jen my Thai friend who now works and lives in Bangkok.  We were introduced one to another in HCMC where she used to be based.  I was so happy that she could have lunch with me.  Not only that, she took me to the latest mall!  Terminal 21 is cool.  Different floor has different theme: Europe, Japan, etc etc.  We chit chat a lot, ate a lot, then I forgot to take pics with her -:)

Thai Resto @ Terminal 21 Mall
Interior part of a Thai Resto @ Terminal 21 Mall

I also met with my Indonesia friend who has been working in Bangkok.  I have known him since kindergarten and we are now in high school only!  LoL.  Thanks for all of the Thai snacks!

Look at the food!

I love Thai food: mostly everything from the appetizer, main course and dessert.  I like curries; green, yellow or red ones.  I could not take the very spicy curry but I am always eager to try till I feel the burning tongue and my stomach heat.

Phad Thai
I like Thai ice tea and desserts too.  At a glance, Thai ice tea looks like cà phê sữa đá (Vietnamese iced coffee with milk).  Thai desserts, especially the ice or sweet ones, some of them is similar to Indonesian desserts but they use more coconut milk. Mirip es campur tapi pakai santan.

Sweet ice dessert @ BaanKhanita (mirip es campur pakai santan)

Bangkok sights and attractions were amazing….   

I was @ Grand Palace, Bangkok

Related story on Bangkok sights and attractions is in this link: Thailand - visit the most popular highlights of Bangkok in one day

I was @ Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn)

No comments:

Post a Comment