Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower

Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower
The view from Amsterdam Tower

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Culinary Experience - Yangon, Myanmar


Train Station - Yangon


Tasting local food while traveling is a must!  Otherwise our trip will not be perfect… 

These two soups are the common soup for breakfast in Myanmar; Moh Hijn Gar and  Kyar Zan Chat soups.

Moh Hihn Gar is fish soup with rice vermicelli (bee hoon); using cat/butter fish in thick soup mixed of onion, soya sauce and condiments such as crispy corn crackers, coriander leave, chili and two other fried stuff which I have no clue what they are...
 
Moh Hihn Gar, fish soup
 
Kyar Zan Chat soup is bean vermicelli (mee hoon) with clear soup mixed of chicken, types of mushroom such as black fungus and regular white mushroom, slices of boiled egg, soya sauce and as condiments are coriander leaves and chili.

Kyar Zan Chat, clear soup
 
The similarity of Myanmar and Indonesian food is that both like deep fried food!  Yes, many things are deep fried and that what makes food is crispy and yummy... 

Ohn Noh Khauk Swae
 
Ohn Noh Khauk Swae is another Myanmar soup for breakfast. The ingredients are yellow noodle, soup is made of coconut milk with chicken. Similar condiments like any other soup. Or is it just me who put those condiments in my soup? LoL. As i like coriander so much, I added these leaves to my soup with no regret... It gives extra flavor to my soup.
 
 
Monsoon

Without having any reservation, I walked to Monsoon at Theinpyu Road for early lunch. Luckily, a table was still available. However, big tourist groups arrived after me, so definitely reservation is a must. 

Logo of TripAdvisor was sticked at the front of the restaurant. That's how I found out about this place!  It is situated at a nice old building.  Restaurant is in the ground floor and bar is above. Plus there is also an NGO office "Helping Hand". 


Fried Tempura, vegetable @ Monsoon
 
Vegetarian fried tempura is crispy and with its in-house sauce, it became perfect. 

I decided to try the fish cake with tomato sauce. Eat it with warm rice and it is so good. The coriander leave gives good flavor. 

Fish cake with tomato sauce @ Monsoon
 
Ca phe sua da, iced Vietnamese milk coffee is available!  It isn't just Vietnamese coffee, but it is Trung Nguyen coffee! 

Ps; both Kyat or US$ payment is doable. Anyway, a money changer is situated within a few meters only.
 

Le Planteur

Within his busy schedule, my wonderful Mr. Right, Mr. MK (his business counterpart) and I went to Le Planteur.

Clock wise: foie gras, ravioli tomato as appetizer, green outdoor garden
& beef or lamb? I couldn't recall, but I recall it's yummy!

Please note that reservation is a must.  The restaurant is situated in a big green garden with a nice old house. Cute decoration with old cars! Inside the restaurant lobby, there is display of jewelry for sale too. 
 
As in the fresh weather that evening, we sat outdoor under the stars… 
 
Clockwise: cheese platter, yummy cake, dessert platter & another yummy cake!
 
All food tastes good!  I like the way they serve the “cheese” and “dessert” platters.  Two persons bring the trays/trolleys closer to the table and guests can choose… what a luxury… 
 
 
Interior part of Padonmar @ Yangon
Padonmar

As recommended by the hotel concierge we went to this restaurant. The concierge girl is so smart, it wasn't only giving info about this place but she also called the taxi and bargained for us.  Yup, taxi in Yangon does not have any meter.  All is based on negotiation i.e. bargaining so we have to know the average price.  
 
Soup as appetizer
 
Padonmar is situated in an old house and big garden.  Tables set up outdoor to cater groups.  Without having any reservation, we sat inside.  Indoor area is also nice...

I started with virgin mojito which is two thumps. 
 
Selection of our main course
 
Ordering Burmese set menu is a good choice for lazy couple like us -J. The restaurant offers Thai food as well. 

Two main course dishes are chicken and prawn curry, watercress and mushroom sautéed and cauliflower salad.  As condiment; deep fried wonton (pangsit goreng) and pickles. 
 
Fried banana with honey sauce
(bilang aja pisang goreng....)
 
Dessert, couldn't leave without one, was fried banana with honey... 

In overall, it was a good experience and service.  The staff is friendly and helpful.
 

Caramelized apple cake & latte
@ cafe near our hotel, Yangon

 
Saturday – Learn Lessons

Saturday was our last day in Yangon, so we decided to take a walk to Bogyoke Aung San market to buy Aung San Suu Kyi’s mug that I had not purchased the days before.  It was my silly ego.  I thought the vendor would reduce the price, and/or I would find other vendor who sells better quality mugs…

Here’s the story about the mug and Bogyoke Aung San market Shopping & Visiting Religious Sites

We walked to the market and found out that it was closed!  “The market is closed on Saturday”, people said in that road.

I was speechless.  Mr. Right was disappointed.  I felt so guilty of not buying that mug.  Five days in Yangon, I didn’t see any vendor selling such mug except two ones in front of that market.   
 
Birds - utility pole - blue sky - Yangon
 
Nothing else I could do except saying millions of sorry to my loved one. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time to a couple of days earlier, stood in front of that street vendor and bought the mug… He took me to Yangon during his busy meetings, all what he wanted was a mug, and I didn’t buy it. Hiks…

Life goes on...  I was not left behind in Yangon though -J  Thanks dear!

Railway, Yangon. View of the train station from the back (white building)

 
..... So long Myanmar… Thanks for the wonderful experience and learn lessons…

No comments:

Post a Comment