Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower

Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower
The view from Amsterdam Tower

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Paris - J'adore (Les Monuments)

I wondered how Paris was before Baron Georges-Eugène Haussmann revamped this city between 1853 and 1870… Most monuments and buildings, in Paris, remain until now… 


Paris Museum Pass

Must have: Museum Pass

During holiday season like New Year’s festivals, most of the museum is full with Parisians and tourists.  It is a good idea to buy Museum Pass.  In order to save time and effort, we can buy it online and have it sent to the hotel.  We bought one that is valid for six days.





La Tour Eiffel (The Eiffel Tower)

Like every other tourist coming to Paris, visiting La Tour Eiffel is the number one priority.  We bought the ticket online two weeks prior to the visit.  The ticket is to go to the top of the tower.  *ps : this ticket is excluded from the Museum Pass list.

 
So in Day 1 of my trip in Paris, I put my steps at La Tour Eiffel. 
  
The ticket indicated a specific time when we have to be in there to take the elevator.  As we arrived early, we went to see the fair across the tower.  There were some tents (looked like a fair) selling food. 
 
There were churros, crepes, waffles, French fries, hot dogs, “cotton candy” (some of my friends in Indonesia called this sweets as “gulali” or "janggut nenek")… soft drinks, tea, coffee, vin chaud (spicy hot wine which is only available during the year end’s). 

 
Slightly before 3.30pm, while waiting for the lift, we started to get worried.  It was 2°C, very cloudy and foggy.  We could not see the top of the tower.  I was stubborn to say that my coat was suitable enough for the Paris’ weather, as I bought it in Hong Kong.  Being in the queue, my belief started to torn down.  It was cold and windy... My coat is only suitable for spring/autumn… #Freezing

Still I went up.  Everyone enjoyed La Tour Eiffel.  During this holiday season, many Parisian families came to see the Iron Lady or “La Dame de Fer” (it is a nickname of La Tour Eiffel).  I could hear many different accents buzzing around my ears.  Some says that this tower is the tallest building in Paris and the most-visited paid monument in the world; millions of people ascend it every year.  Voila, I am one of those people!

People queuing for the lift


The security around la Tour Eiffel was tight.  During these holiday seasons, many armed forces were on duty.  They looked serious, I did not dare to come closer; can I take a pic with you Monsieur?

Paris view from La Tour Eiffel in a foggy afternoon


Booo …. unfortunately, it was very foggy …  When we reached the top of the tower, we could not see Paris at all.  Fog was everywhere.  I could tell that Jakarta-Indonesia is 11,584 km from here… Why am I that smart? Because it is written there! LOL 

Can you see distance from La Tour Eiffel to Jakarta?

No luck to see Monas (Monument National) in Jakarta from La Tour Eiffel…





L'Arc de Triomphe


L'Arc de Triomphe

This monument is often mentioned in my French text books as it is the most famous monument in Paris. That is why it is in my priority list!

It is located at the center of the Place Charles de Gaulle (Place de l'Étoile) which is at the western end of the Champs-Élysées.


Thanks to the Museum Pass, we skipped the queue. #big smile... As we entered the monument, I could see nothing but the stairs going up.  Mmm...  It is long stairs; I went up, up and up #hiks.  How much longer that we had to go up?  I almost lost my breath!  Oooohhh... 


Finally, we arrived in the top floor where the model of L'Arc de Triomphe is.  Well, this monument is 50 meters height!  There is no lift going up!  My loved one knows about it, but did not want to tell me prior to the visit… -:)

The best part of the monument is of course the open roof top!  We could see the gorgeous view of Paris.  I wish I brought a cup of hot ginger tea here… -:)  The strong wind made the climate even colder.  

The tomb of an unknown soldier


L'Arc the Triomphe is the place for the soldiers to salute their seniors.  After having graduated from military academy, the soldiers brought here as if it is their graduation monument.  Beneath the Arc, there is the tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I.

As for me, this is a monument for my graduation visiting Paris!!!





Uploading soon:
Paris – J’adore => Le Chateau de Versailles

No comments:

Post a Comment