Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower

Amsterdam view from Amsterdam Tower
The view from Amsterdam Tower

Friday, August 5, 2011

Post Office Saigon

I was astonished by the post office in Saigon. I think this is the most beautiful post office I have ever seen!


First catch is the building. It is one of the old buildings from the French colonialism era; European style, high ceiling, beautiful world map paintings in the side wall. As soon as we enter the building, we can see the photo of Mr. Ho Chi Minh who was the key figure in the formation the Democratic Republic of Vietnam in 1945.


Second is the ATM machines on the left and right sides. Again, I think it is the most beautiful ATM machines I have ever seen... beautiful wooden ATM boxes with clocks showing different time zones. Dear bankers whose ATM is not here yet, mmm... better be here, smile...


Third thing catches my attention is the post services counters. Different service for each counter. They are busy but neat, clean and organized.

I normally go to the counter selling stamp for overseas mails. The lady wearing áo dài (Vietnamese national costume) is always helpful asking destination of my postcards, telling me how much I should pay and giving me the necessary stamps. When I said Cảm Ơn (thank you) she was smiling, perhaps she couldn't catch my strange accent. The glue is available in front of her, just stick the stamp and return postcards to her. She has a box near her for overseas mails. Do not throw our mails to the box. People might throw them to the wrong box...

When I miss home... I walk to this post office... (#sad tones mode). I buy a set of 10 postcards with Saigon view, sit on the benches where people can write. Mostly I spend more time to write addresses than the message itself! The message can be short, as the postcard pic talks... I often say that Saigon is more modern than the pic! Plus a little bit of 'poison' to encourage them to visit Saigon...to visit me...

Result of sending postcard with VND10500 stamp to Indonesia normally comes in a week. Once friends receive my postcard, they text me or put comments on Facebook and telling me how happy they are.

When did the last time we receive bbm/sms/text/email? A few seconds ago? When did the last time we receive letter/postcard with stamp from family/friend?...




When I sit on the post office bench writing my postcards, I sometimes closed my eyes and listened to all the voices around me. I could hear Vietnamese, English, French, others and words I do not understand and buzzing like bees... but it is fun to listen. People from many nations in one place, at the post office, just writing notes to their loved ones at home...

What also fun is when I make conversation with other visitors who are also writing letters; May I see which postcard you choose? Oh it is nice. What? You buy a set of 10 postcards? So lazy to write the addresses! Oooo you are from Indonesia? Where is it? Oooo Bali, yes I know Bali!.... or when I help the lady at stamp corner to repeat her answer: it is one hundred and sixteen thousand - one six....

During my almost one month stay in Saigon, I had visited the post office three times, and for sure many more to come...

Post Office View in the Evening, it looks romantic

No comments:

Post a Comment